[support] Eclipse PDT, xDebug and Drupal .tpl.php files

Moses Elias (2) iom at netvision.net.il
Tue Jun 1 10:23:18 UTC 2010

I am an Eclipse PDT newbie, so apologies if my questions are basic.

THE ENVIRONMENT
================
I have set up Eclipse PDT 2.1.3 with xDebug and I am trying to debug a
Drupal application with LAMPP on Ubuntu via my localhost. I have
installed the Drupal Plugin for Eclipse.

I have set breakpoints in page-front.tpl.php and page.tpl.php and the
debugger stops in the files where expected.

THE PROBLEM
============
However, I have set a breakpoint in a node-product.tpl.php file (derived
from node.tpl.php) but when I click Run > Resume and I navigate to the
correct page in the browser window, the debugger just refuses to stop
execution in it. At this point under Run, the only command highlighted
is Terminate, so I don't know where in the application I am at present.

If the application is still executing, how do I break out of the loop
and get back control so I can start debugging?

Secondly, I am not certain why I am not able to get into that file and
perhaps there's a good reason I am not aware of. This is my primary aim
here.

Also, my Firefox External browser opens when I initiate a debug session,
but there doesn't seem to be a relationship between Run > Step Over (F6)
and what I see in the browser window. The browser is expecting user
input. How do I coordinate between the browser and the Eclipse IDE so
it's interactive between the two? An action in one makes it pause or
continue in the other. That means, when I click in browser window, it
should show me where I am in the debugger.

I have one more question. When I start a Drupal debugging session most
people set up the Run > Run Configurations to start at index.php. My
question is can I start a debug session at some arbitrary URL address or
does it always have to begin with a .php file? How about a .tpl.php file
located not in the htdocs folder, but in the theme folder itself? Should
it be a .tpl.php file, or can it be a URL address?

I know these are basic questions, but any leads would be appreciated.