[support] Drupal 7: Photo Gallery

Jeff jeff at wildcoast.com
Tue Apr 26 09:01:01 UTC 2011

On 25 Apr 2011, at 9:23 PM, Andre Durudas wrote:

> thanks for the suggestions. I had already considered Views but
> wanted to see whether there are (easier??) alternatives. Anyway, I
> think I could get a view to work. I know a little bit about
> Imagefield, but what is Imagecache?

If you look at the module from Drupal 6 - http://drupal.org/project/imagecache
  (which is in D7 core) allows you to setup default sizing options for
thumbnails, previews, etc.

> Also, (and this might be a stupid question) but how do I get my
> photos into Drupal? I would like to have them in my private files
> folder. I was thinking to set up a new content type, Photo for
> example, with a title field, the Imagefield, tags. Is this the only
> way? Am I missing something? Can I only upload one photo at a time?

Depends on your site requirements. Like, if its a general community
blog-site your users will probably prefer to have private directories/
galleries - while if you're building a corporate website / CMS you
probably won't need per user directories.

Check http://drupal.org/project/imagepicker, for a comprehensive
solution, or http://drupal.org/project/insert for a quick and simple
option.

> And one more question, when I set up a View like you suggested, I
> have a gallery. Does it automatically display thumbnail (or smaller)
> images? And when someone clicks on one image, does it open the
> original (or larger) image? How do I go about displaying 'Next
> photo' and 'Previous photo' (and 'Back to gallery') buttons, within
> the photos in each gallery?

I don't use it, but I think you're looking for something like http://drupal.org/project/lightbox2
. Not sure about for Drupal 7; though you can possibly find an answer
here: http://drupal.org/node/266126. (Ooh, oh, this looks good: http://drupal.org/project/colorbox.)

HTH

Jeff Brown

Tel:+27-74-101 5170