[support] General Drupal question

Carl Wiedemann carl.wiedemann at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 21:33:01 UTC 2011

Nodereference fields are useful to create the types of relationships you are
describing.

Would this cause too much server load using inherent Drupal Content Types
> with CCK fields (D6)?  Would it only work with direct db queries and mysql
> tables instead?  How much is lost doing it using content types instead of
> custom coding?

The advantage of nodereference fields is that you can leverage the utilities
Drupal provides for nodes, such as revisions, CCK field formatters, and
(especially) Views. Views relationships create SQL JOIN statements such that
you may select, filter, and sort data across the various references.

Were you to do this with custom code, you would have to develop your own
CRUD API, fields, formatters, and views handlers. It's a lot of work. I've
done it before from scratch and many months later eventually migrated
everything to nodes and CCK.

When it comes to performance, my advice is to develop the system using the
existing APIs as best you can, and then tackle performance bottlenecks as
the come up. You may find that the caching mechanisms in place will suffice,
or you can develop custom caching solutions, or even custom queries, or
manually-created indexes. Drastically changing your development practice for
things that "might" occur seems overly-cautious and ineffective.