[support] General Drupal question

Ms. Nancy Wichmann nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 28 23:24:44 UTC 2011

Scaling? How many people are going to use this? It doesn't sound like many;
budgets are not generally open to the world, unless it's a government site. So,
I supect the first design point is to determine your target audience and how
many they might be.

Secondly, it's not content types that are the issue; it's nodereferences that
are. It might be that you find that some of that is not needed. For example,
departmental structure is generally not very fluid, so hand-coding the
department names as a list in the content type might reduce the level of
performance issues considerably.

Nancy

From: Joel Willers

I have a site that I’m working on the data structure for… I feel like I know how
I’d do it, but I was told that it might not scale well, so I thought I’d run it
through you guys.

Would this cause too much server load using inherent Drupal Content Types with
CCK fields (D6)?  Would it only work with direct db queries and mysql tables
instead?  How much is lost doing it using content types instead of custom
coding?