[themes] Re: [development] someone make a theme out of these templates

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu Mar 9 03:17:42 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 15:42, Adrian Simmons wrote:
> Adrian Rossouw wrote:

> > you can override any theme function by just copying the file
> > to your theme directory, no fucking around with template.php.
>
> Which makes it even easier. Nice.
>
> > it becomes possible to distribute alternative template files, like
> > different node views etc.
>
> That's also excellent!
>
> I don't suppose we could also say that modules don't need to ship with
> their own CSS files could we?

I'd actually suggest that CSS files then become like the tpl.php files.  The
module ships with its own that is named module.css definitively.  A theme can
then override it by including its own CSS file of the same name.  Poof, no
more dealing with the legacy bits from that module.  (And if we can get core
modules into their own directories and break drupal.css up for them, that
solves most drupal.css issues.)

I'm wary about everything as a tpl.php file, though.  That's a LOT of disk
hits per page then.  I've also found that frequently a theme function in my
module is all I need, whereas thinking about a template file requires my
brain to switch gears.  I don't know that I want to have to make my brain
switch gears every time I get to an output command. :-(

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson