[themes] howto for buidling a frontpage using regions

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Tue May 23 15:13:35 UTC 2006

On May 23, 2006, at 2:40 AM, Bèr Kessels wrote:

> FYI: Have a look here:
> http://drupal.org/node/65064
>
> Feel free to improve. ;)
>
> Bèr

Nicely done! A couple of suggestions for clarity:

* In the set-up paragraphs, make it clear that "bimbam" is the name
of the example theme. It's obvious to us, but newbies would benefit
from the extra clarity.

* I would (re-)emphasize that "function bimbam_regions()" must be re-
named for the designer's theme being designed. This detail is missing
from a number of theme snippets, leading to much confusion.

* The comment below notes that it's the blocks admin area, not the
node admin area. That's good. But the actual path to it is admin/
block, not admin/blocks -- not that anyone is going to paste that
into their browsers, but just to be dead-on.

Otherwise, I think this is an excellent step-by-step guide of
something I was doing just last week.

But--

Problematic, imho, is the placement of this page within the handbook.

This page is not really about theme development -- it's not something
that could be used in a contributed theme, for example -- but is more
about customizing dislay using theme techniques available in theme
development.

I am wondering if these "developers' guides" should be placed
adjacent to the "php theme snippets", for example. It would be nice
if the various ways one can customize one's theme would be in the
same general area. I don't know if many people will find this page
just from drilling down into the handbook cold.

Laura

PS - As a point of procedure, should I put the top 3 * points in a
comment on the page, or is responding here better. Without any page
editing privileges, I have no idea how else to suggest changes.