[themes] Dreamweaver CS3 Extension for Drupal Themeing

Adrian Simmons adrinux at perlucida.com
Fri Aug 10 14:11:27 UTC 2007

Kieran Lal wrote:
> Let's see if we can flush out the spec on what the output of Dreaweaver
> is and how it can become a Drupal theme.

I don't use Dreamweaver these days, but I have it and this sounds
interesting. So I just read a bit of the dreamweaver docs.

There are three things which Dreamweaver can do that look useful:

1. Dreamweaver templates
    It's not too difficult to imagine taking some Drupal theme tpl files and
locking down all the important php so that a designer could only edit the
html. But not all that flexible, after all to really customize a Drupal
theme you need to work with PHP too.

2. Work with PHP and MySQL
    Dreamweaver can help to build sites using php and mysql, but it takes
your php and interacts directly with the database itself - effectively
usesless when you have Drupal itself sitting between the tpl files and the db.

3. Work with live data from a server.
    I get the impression that (at least with Coldfusion, and maybe some of
the other Macromedia/Adobe proprietary server side technologies) you can
work with live data from a server whilst in 'design' view - no idea how
you'd make that work with Drupal though, but I suspect it would require a
Drupal module or two.

My current workflow involves Fireworks, BBEdit and CSSEdit2, but Dreamweaver
might be useful for prototyping themes and modules, if it could be made to work.

--
Adrian Simmons (aka adrinux) <http://perlucida.com>
e-mail <mailto:adrinux at perlucida.com>