[themes] Drupal themes problem

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sun Mar 7 02:38:47 UTC 2010

Hi all.
I'm very new to Drupal but gradually getting there. Using Drupal 6.16
and will rebuild the site in Drupal 7 once I understand the
complexities. The site does not have to be live for testing in D6 until
July/August.

In theming:
Using BlueMarine as a starting/learning point.
I've converted our index.html to page.tpl.php and the css to styles.css,
I've set regions in the .info file all as per tuts and videos. I am
working through the book  Using Drupal: O'reilly.

Our Layout:
A large header, 780 x 250px in which a javascript file will play a swf
and randomly display quotations overlaying the swf.
2 columns: Left 500px wide is the page information and the right 200px
wide will be the menu.

In the left I need to display a header - subject line for an event topic
under that,
a variable width line which varies in length according to the width
dimension of an adjacent image
an image, either which could be on the left, right or centre of the same
region as the line
a sub header
under that,
some accompanying text relative to the header.
| logo          swf file & quotes                         |
| |
|                                                   |               |
|    Title or Topic   large font           |   menu    |
|------------------------------------------ |               |
| sub topic   small font                   |               |
|                                                   |               |
|  accompanying text                      |               |
|                                                   |               |
|                                                   |               |
|                                                   |               |
|                                                   |               |

On at least one page the Title or topic, line, subtext and other info
will display variable dynamic information down the page like a calendar
of events. Home and About us these will be static.

I have created topic, subhead, subtext, text regions in the .info file
and tried to set these appropriately in Admin-Blocks
but don't know where to go from there.

I have some of this working but the page shows the username, membership
time and edit buttons.
None of this is needed, I can't find in page.tpl.php where it prints
these details as I've removed all the pre existing php code.

  How do I replace the user name with the topic or title ad create the
sub head.

Also I have admin theme set as Garland but the Block configuration
system uses my user theme and I don't know how to change this.

Help appreciated
Roger