[themes] How much php knowledge required?

JasonN imjasonn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 18:58:29 UTC 2010

Someone needs to do a training course that's pure Drupal design. I'll admit
there's little out there about it, in a format that makes sense to non-PHP
developers.

The design process is quite simple.

There's a template.

The template has hooks for both code and design elements.

You can position the template hooks in the "blocks" you want them to be
manually. But, using the Drupal block management system requires a bit more
flexibility and therefor a bit more sophisticated code layout.

If I am blessed to have a few hours to mark this up, I'll share it with you
all. Though, I tend to think for most on this list it's remedial.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:07, Jared Stoneberg <jared at stonebergdesign.com>wrote:

> That php/mysql course is overkill.  IMO theming Drupal is 75% CSS/HTML 10%
> PHP and 15% Drupal Configuration.  If you only have a little CSS knowledge
> spend your time there.
>
> -Jared
>

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:52 AM, saksiri.kridakara at yahoo.com <
> saksiri.kridakara at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you everyone for these responses!
>>
>> I have watched the lullabot and lynda.com videos and have a good
>> conceptual understanding at this point...along with a little css and
>> html experience.
>>
>> I have not dug in and developed a theme yet, but getting prepared.
>> I guess what I'm trying to extract is how php is used in relation to
>> drupal themes.
>>
>> With so much else to get my head around, I'm hoping I can somehow
>> learn just what's necessary for theme development so I don't have to
>> read a whole additional book.
>>
>> For example there is a lynda.com php/mysql course but that might be
>> overkill?
>>
>> Saki
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM, JasonN <imjasonn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > What is your strength now? That's an important place to start.

>> > --
>> > Jason A. Nunnelley

Jason A. Nunnelley
http://www.jasonn.com