[themes] All page titles identical

Agon S. Buchholz asb at kefk.org
Sat Aug 20 03:31:54 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm currently develping a custom theme for a mid-sized Drupal site
(6.22) and ran into a bizarre problem: Suddenly all page titles are
rendered with the exact same string, but not (never) with the actual
page title. The string is the localized version of "Image galleries".

This behaviour affects as well nodes and taxonomy term pages as views,
panel pages and even administrative pages, altogether around 50,000
pages. The string appears as well in the node title (<h1 class="title">
... </h1), as in the browser's page title (<title> ... </title>), but
*not* in the meta tags (<meta name="dc.title" content=" ... " />).

The theme is a custom sub-theme of Fusion, so I checked against the
(unaltered) core theme 'Garland', and against the unaltered 'Fusion
core' base the, which both show exactly the same behaviour; so this
seems not to be an issue of my customized theme.

Also I checked the node table of the site's database which still has the
correct node titles in the "title" colum. I am using the 'page_title'
module, so I suspected an amok behaviour and disabled the module; this
didn't change the malfunction, so 'page_title' is probably innocent.
Additionally I created a block with Views and pulled the node
respectively taxonomy term title via an argument into the block; these
node respectively term titles *do* render correctly, so there seems to
be no obvious issue with the database (which I checked as well with the
command line utility 'mysqlcheck').

Of course I cleared the theme registry and all other caches multiple
times (through 'admin_menu', and 'drush'). This had no effect as well.

I can edit the localized string at ./admin/build/translate/search (in my
case it's /admin/build/translate/edit/31625), and after saving, it
immediately renders throughout the whole site as "generic" page title.
It's nice to know where the string comes from, but this doesn't help
much; it is used by the 'image' module, and this module is clearly not
designed for this kind of site-wide override. However, to make sure I
disabled the modules 'image', 'image_attach', 'image_gallery', and
'image_import' and was most surprised to learn the the page titles went
back to their normal states. Now I am really confused and still don't
believe that 'image' module can be the root cause.

I am totally out of ideas what could cause this kind of behaviour; the
'page_title' module is the only module I am aware of that could globally
alter the <title> tag, but I don't have the faintest idea what could
modify the <h1 class="title"> tag across themes (which excludes theme
overrides in *one* theme as the possible root cause).

Any ideas or suggestions what might actually go wrong here?

Thanks!
-asb

Image module issue for this: #1254778