[translations] Differences between potx generated files and drupal-pot files

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sun Jul 8 16:04:15 UTC 2007

Vasileios Lourdas wrote:
> On Sunday 08 July 2007 17:49:20 Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
>> This is unfortunately not really helpful. We don't see what are the
>> differences, only that there are differences. A diff would be much better.
>>
>> $ diff -u aggregator-module.po aggregator-module-new.po
> I stripped the comments from both files. aggregator-module.pot.1 is
> aggregator-module.pot and aggregator-module.pot.2 is
> aggregator-module-new.po. Here it is (sorry for the long listing):

All the strings that seemingly appear in this file are common strings,
so they should be in general.po. A few examples:

> +msgid "Title"
> +msgstr ""
> +
> +msgid "Description"
> +msgstr ""
> +
> +msgid "Submit"
> +msgstr ""
> +
> +msgid "Delete"
> +msgstr ""
>
>> It could very well be that the drupal-pot templates are for an
>> older/newer Drupal version, then what you run your extractor on. The
>> last update to drupal-pot was for the 5.1 release, so running potx on
>> the 5.1 release code could result in comparable templates. I'd suggest
>> you do this if you would like to see whether there are real differences.
>
> I used the latest drupal-pot-5.x-1.x-dev.tar.gz from
> http://drupal.org/project/drupal-pot. Isn't that the correct po templates?

Yes, they are Drupal 5.1 templates as I have noted. Until Drupal 5.2 is
not released these are the latest stable strings.

> I try to be helpful as I can...

Thanks! As far as I see you hit the "potx is more tailored for the
contributed modules by default" sympthom. Check:

$ php potx-cli.php --help

It will give you information about what to do if you generate templates
for core source files. The potx-cli script is by default configured to
generate strings for contributed modules, as we ship templates in the
mentioned package for core translations. You need to use the extra mode
parameter with potx-cli to generate proper templates for Drupal core.

Gabor