[translations] Limitations of the source-string-centric approach

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 20:25:43 UTC 2007

On 7/20/07, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:

> Hans Salvisberg schrieb:

> >> The hungarian team works around this by actually translating '@type has
> >> been created'.
> >>
> > I replaced this on my German-language sites with "Ihr Beitrag vom Typ
> > %type wurde gespeichert." ("Your post of type %type has been created.")
> > It's slightly technical,
>
> It's ugly.
>
> > but at least it's grammatically correct.
>
> Correct but ugly.
>
> > Grammatical errors are not acceptable, but it's often possible to come
> > up with more generic phrases.
>
> While that is true it makes a website often not very nice to read. We
> should try to find technical solutions that allow translators to make
> good translations and not force them to make ugly translations.

As long as I have not found a solution, I prefer the extremes. One
might as well go all the way and make it "Your post has been created"
at the cost of some loss of information. How does the saying go...
"The more beautiful, the less faithful".

Or else insert some punctuation and make it "@type: created" to
indicate clearly that it was not intended to be a full sentence. Both
these approaches seem more likely not to trigger a dismissive response
by a visitor of the site.