[translations] Myanmar for Mymr NOT My

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Thu Sep 27 16:06:38 UTC 2007

On 9/27/07, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:
> > Author named killes wrongfully using the language tag
> > listed by
> > http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry
> > for Mynmar, ie it should be Mymr NOT My which is
> > intended for Malaysia, I'm from Malaysia and I wanted
> > to contribute for the translations of Bahasa Malaysia
> > for Drupal Core, however this killes has hijacked the
> > language tag for Malaysia..
> >
> > Dear admin please correct him....Thanks in advance
>
> The evil killes was at it again! I swear, one day I'll take away his cvs
> account. ;p
>
> However, to me it seems he was actually right:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes
>
> We use ISO 639 for Drupal and according to that list you need to use
> "ms" for Malay.

Actually Drupal 6 moves forward to RFC 4646 codes (based on W3C
progress), which uses the IANA language tag registry.

  http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/
  http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry

This again shows "ms" for Malay. Interesting through that "my" is
Burmese and Mymr is the Myanmar script of Burmese.

Type: language
Subtag: my
Added: 2005-10-16
Suppress-Script: Mymr