[translations] Serbian and general localization questions

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Mon Feb 18 15:29:43 UTC 2008

2008/2/18 Milan Dinić <liste at srpski.biz>:
> I read whole documentation about translating on drupal.org and found some
>  informations, which I need to be cleared. Should I update smaller .po files
> from this big one and then create an issue so someone will then update
> project page or go directly to new localization server, which I found that
>  is on test phase?
>
> I also checked one where I see several Slavic languages
> (http://www.drupaler.ru/). My question is also are those localization
>  servers temporary, so after that all will be moved to drupal.org (i.e.
> l10n.drupal.org) or they will stay in current look (separated for each
>  language)? If they move to central server on drupal.org, will all
> translations be moved over there? Are those current servers updated with
>  new strings and are those translations automatically updated on drupal.org
> or there is need for manual update?
>  We could create translation team for Serbian and thats why I ask you about
> servers, since it would be easier to translate for Drupal 6 and for
> numerous modules with collaboration.

The current plan is that we are going to have a central server setup
on drupal.org. All translation servers are expected to export and then
import their translations to the central server. A fundamental
advantage of the central server will be

 - drupal.org managed, so with proper backup, etc
 - projects will only need to be scanned once, available to all
 - the same set of projects available for translations of all teams
 - same toolset (so if you contribute to more languages, you can
easily hop around)
 - translation packages will be generated and downloadable on drupal.org
 - translation status will be displayed on project pages directly on
drupal.org (eg. on the Views project page, you will see a list of
translation status as well)

> Also I must ask you where I could find updated pots for 5.x, since those
>  here (http://drupal.org/project/drupal-pot) are from July of last year?

With l10n_server, you just need to drop in the latest Drupal 5 release
(no need for specific templates). We can generate new templates for
that CVS project, but string changes were minimal if anything changed
at all in later Drupal releases.

Gabor