[translations] language code problem (for kurdish)

Amed Çeko Jiyan amedcj at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 01:00:26 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I would translate Drupal into Kurdish (Kurmancî). I got cvs account and i
created a project named Kurdish Kurmancî. I would use ku_KU as language code
for Kurmancî, but i got that message "- We normally use iso639 2 letter
language codes for Drupal, ie for Kurdish it is ku" all of otehr projects
-like Mozilla Firefox, Google- would we use ku as language code. That is
because they don't know any thing about Kurdish language(s). Kurdish is a
languages family as Scandinavian.
After i start to translate Drupal into Kurdish Kurmancî, some other friends
started to translate into Kurdish Soranî. We are translating Drupal into two
languages but we have one language code (ku). will one of us stop to
translating Drupal because that problem? No, i don't think so. I have
allready created ku, ku_KU, so_KU in CVS directory.
I would Drupal will let us to use ku_KU and so_Ku as languages codes.

*Maybe you would see that big mistake : http://www.google.com/intl/ku/
That is Kurdish page of Google. When you open that page, you will some some
thing in latin letters (Kurmancî) and some other things in arabic letters
(Soranî). I hope Drupal will not fall in same mistake.

Best regards,
Amed Çeko Jiyan