[translations] Translation (pseudo)contexts in Drupal 7

Fernando P. García fernando at develcuy.com
Sun Jul 26 03:30:17 UTC 2009

great idea,

This will not need a patch, just for fashion :P.

So what we need is to agree in some reserved words for translation:

Example 1:

$string = 'Filtrar' = t('!verb Filter', array('!verb' => ''));

Example 2:

$string = 'Filtro' = t('!noun Filter', array('!noun' => ''));

Blessings!

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 10:18 PM, José San Martin <jz.sanmartin at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As a language with poor morphology, English sometimes does not
> distinguish verbs from nouns. Filter, Upload, Archive, Link, Update,
> Post... and many other words that are used in Drupal. Other languages
> are a more morphology-heavy and when we translate Drupal to other
> languages this ambiguity may be a problem. Take Upload, for instance.
> There is a button "Upload", but there is also a module "Upload".
> There's the need to use different words.
>
> It's not an exclusivity for noun/verbs, though. "Order" is one thing
> in Views, and another thing in Ubercart. The shorter the string, the
> easier it is to exist this kind of ambiguity.
>
> There is already the use in Drupal core of string context. The blank
> variable in "!long-month-name May" is used distinguish "May" in the
> series "January, February.." to "May" in the series "Jan, Feb...".
> This very pattern could be used elsewhere: "!noun Filter" would be
> different from "!verb Filter", so that we could translate "Filtro" and
> "Filtrar",  respectively, or "Filter" and "filtern".
>
> What do you think? Is this a good approach or something more radical
> should be done to support contexts? Perhaps a fourth symbol -
> #context, instead of "!, @, %"  , to make it mor organized? There is
> still time to fix Drupal 7.
>
> See you,
>
> José San Martin
> Brazilian translator

Fernando P. García, http://www.develcuy.com
Developer - Analista de Sistemas
+51 1 9 8991 7871, Calle Santa Catalina Ancha #377, Cusco -Perú

** Antes de imprimir este mensaje piensa en tu compromiso con el medio
ambiente, protegerlo depende de tí.