[consulting] Customer Relationship Management software

Khalid B kb at 2bits.com
Wed Apr 12 04:06:52 UTC 2006

I have been thinking of this too for the same reasons.

Depending on whether you are  a solo player or not, you may want
to check the free site http://sidejobtrack.com/, which is for
freelance part timers, and not for a full time multi person shop.

Another solution is BaseCamp (basecamehq.com) which has a range
of solutions, priced accordingly. Note that Ruby On Rails started as
basecamp and was then extracted by the parent company, 37 Signals.

My ideal solution (dreamware at this stage), would be a set of Drupal
modules that would start by the client creating an account. They are
then lead through a questionnaire. You get an email summary or even
just a link. The project then progresses from there, with all communication
being in one place (as comments and attachments) from that module.
Ideally, it would have built in billing and payment management (ecommerce
or  just the payment parts of it?). From that, you can get reports like how
much do I have in the funnel? How much did we make last month, ...etc.

Sounds like a be all end all thing, but Drupal can do it.

As a related topic, I have been approached by a client who likes Basecamp
and want something in Drupal that is equivalent to that. Nothing concrete yet,
and I asked  them if it would be GPL'd and they seem to not mind it that much.
If that materializes, maybe a few of us can collaborate and turn the above from
dreamware to real life.