[consulting] Reverse Bounty: og2list - mailing list support for Organic Groups

Neil McEvoy neil.mcevoy at ondemand-network.com
Thu Apr 27 19:43:38 UTC 2006

> But what's the point of using OG at that point?  Members of your
> organic group won't be the same as the members of your mailing list.
> You might as well leave it as an open forum on your Drupal site.

Not exactly sure at this point, will need to experiment with some teams,
but I'm generally working on the rationale that:

- An OG is the first step, it's the 'container' that defines the
sub-group. Permissioned users can create them, then we manually create a
mailing list. It can do a lot more than a forum, like subscribers,
different content types etc.
- A mailing list, and a web site forum, are then tools that the group
uses. They're 'properties/methods' of the group so to speak

I would therefore have thought that members would certainly be the same.
ie you join a group, and one way of interacting with it is via email.
Which may or may not be recorded on the web site too.

> Let me know if you want me to edit.

For sure. Any help appreciated. Kinda get the feeling I'm reinventing the
wheel here and coming up with a set of handle bars facing the wrong way.

Cheers

Neil.