[consulting] OT: Keyboards and RSI

Mark Fredrickson mark.m.fredrickson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 14:45:19 UTC 2006

For anyone following along at home, here's my solution:

I just ordered a Keyovation adjustable keyboard on a recommendation.
My contact pointed out that it can be adjusted throughout the day to
reduce the damage from any one position. Also, I figured I'd adjust my
computing equipment to match my bizarre habits, not try as much to
change my behavior (sorry, Harry ;-)

That said, I'm also taking small, frequent breaks. I'm using a little
app on my desktop called TimeOut. I must say, I appreciate the excuse
to look away from my screen, stretch my legs and arms, and generally
pause at regular intervals. I find it doesn't break my concentration,
YMMV.

Finally, I brought an ice pack to work. I think my RSI is a
combination of typing and a rugby injury. Icing it every few hours
helps ease the pain a little and I hope keeps any swelling down. I
want to abandon this technique soon, but until the pain is gone, I'm
keeping the ice pack.

A big thank you to everyone for taking the time to read and comment. I
strongly recommend to those who do not yet have any problems to take
preventative measures.

Cheers,
-Mark