[consulting] Current state of newsletter systems

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Mon Nov 27 16:29:45 UTC 2006

On 11/27/06, Mark Hope <mark at markhope.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering what the current state of the various newsletter mailing
> systems are?
>
> I've looked at simplenews but it is what it says - Simple. I'm sure
> that's what the author intended, however I'm sure there must be a wider
> demand for a more feature rich mailing system?
>
> The features and issues queue that would make Simplenews more complete
> doesn't seem to be moving very quickly.
> I think the UI for simplenews is good, but the outgoing mail and
> formatting I find quite poor.

It's unlikely that simplenews will (or should) evolve to  anything more
complex.

There are entire projects dedicated to newsletter setup and send out. I
would suggest that this is a non trivial task, especially if you want to
send out high volume to lists (although you could use Drupal to send to an
external distribution list).

So, short answer, I don't know of anything being developed right now, and
it's a big job to get done right. There is CiviMail -- see
http://civicrm.org/civimail -- which integrates with CiviCRM / Drupal. Don't
know how optimized it is for the HTML + header/footer that you're looking
for.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747