[consulting] work overflow

William Smith william.darren at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 04:28:46 UTC 2007

While the list is on the subject of business questions, I've got one of my
own.

I'm regularly contacted for projects, but it often seems to come in waves.
I don't always have the time to handle all the work that comes my way, yet
I'm not particularly interested at the moment in getting into the business
of outsourcing or managing contractors/employees.

Ideally in such cases I'd like to pass it off to someone competent, who is
able to make estimates, and either a) receive a finders fee, b) work on
those parts of the project that I have the time to work on while the rest is
handled by the third party, or ideally c) both a+b.

I keep going back and forth on the idea of either starting an organization
and building up a list of people who I trust to handle the overflow work, or
aligning myself with an existing company that I can feed work into and be
fairly compensated for.  Essentially, I'm a developer, not a business
person, and I want to develop not manage accounts or provide estimates.

In a case like this should I try to find myself a good partner or two, or
try to develop a working relationship with an existing company?