[consulting] Consulting directory

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Wed Mar 21 02:00:14 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, Jakob Persson <jakob at jakob-persson.com> wrote:

> I advise against using sites like elance.com, there are very few
> professionals on those sites and the fees elance charges for people to bid
> on projects is outrageous and deters many people who possess expert skills.
> Sites like it and getafreelancer.com and rentacoder.com have become
> marketplaces for average designers living in countries of the world where
> living costs are low, which is why the prices are what they are.
> Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you see it) the quality is
> on level with the prices, so don't expect to find any experts or reliable
> people here. They may be suiable for small isolated tasks but people on
> these sites seldom possess the skills to pull something major through.

When CivicSpace was building the start of the Drupal 5 installer we came
across a several folks who had funded installers for Drupal.  In one case
someone had paid a freelance service to copy the installer from the
CivicSpace distribution of 4.6 to work with 4.7.  They even included the
same CSS file.  It was of course not core worthy.

Something to keep in mind when dealing with folks with no independent
reputations.

Kieran

Rob Barreca wrote:

> These are your best bets:
> http://drupal.org/drupal-services
>
>  The issue with this list is that you have to have contributed in order to
> be listed. There are many professionals who do great work but haven't
> committed code to Drupal. While I agree with the rule for listing, just be
> aware that this list is not exhaustive and may not necessarily include the
> best out there.
>
>  http://drupal.org/forum/51
>
>  The forum is a pretty good place to reach developers and designers.
> There's also http://www.drupalyellowpages.com/ that list people by
> country.
>
> Your best chance of finding a pro is to request a proper brief and then
> use your gut feeling to sort out the bad apples. The prices you get are
> seldom the final price, the lowest quote may likely be the most expensive,
> so it's a matter of weighing professionalism versus track record and price.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Jakob
>
> Drupal Designer and Developer
> www.jakob-persson.com
>
> Mehboob Alam wrote:
>
>  Is there one? I'd like to find something like eLance, but that may be
> asking too much. I'm interesting in outsourcing certain aspects of a
> project like maintenance, module development, theme development etc.

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.