[consulting] Drupal Designs

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Mar 23 16:42:57 UTC 2007

sime wrote:
> To cloak Drupal you would:
> -- retheme css classes and id names (eg. class="clear-block block
> block-user"> is a dead giveaway)
> -- alias css includes (or css aggregated file)
> -- alias drupal.js and jquery.js paths.

You're missing the point! Consider the subject of this thread.

The talk about "cloaking Drupal" is not to hide its technical
identification, but rather the fact that most Drupal sites -- even ones
with plenty of custom theme work done to them -- have a uniformly bland,
geeky look to them. . What is perfectly suitable to a personal or
community site won't work in business, where eye candy _does_ often
matter as clients strive to distinguish themselves from their competitors.

I brought a seasoned web designer -- one who has done very well for
himself in creating some extremely eye-catching sites, and is a skilled
Flash and Photoshop jockey -- over to the gallery of Drupal themes at
d.o. He burst out in laughter. I think the only themes considered to be
even near creative and competent (from a design POV) were some of the
Andreas entries, especially the commercial stuff that's not at d.o.

This designer now has a challenge in front of him to do better, to bring
good design to a content-oriented site. The short-term goal is to have
sites' "theme API" be the zen theme (or a slight mutation of it), and to
do just about all site-specific design in CSS (thus splitting code and
design as much as possible). As can be seen at the Zen Garden, you can
do some very un-CMS looking CMSs working just in style sheets. This also
helps from a licensing POV; since a CSS is configuration rather than
code, it's not subject to the GPL governing its underlying theme and
thus can be kept proprietary to the site owner.

- Evan