[consulting] What is "theme design" anyway?

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Fri Mar 23 20:42:39 UTC 2007

I'm getting into this conversation late, so I'll follow suit by
hijacking the thread into another tangent to the topic.

A lot of issues have been raised here (as well as in the discussion
after Dries' presentation this morning at OSCMS).

I'm wondering what the current state of contributed Drupal themes has
to do with how easy/hard it is to theme for Drupal for, e.g.,
corporate clients or with what a theme repository full of proprietary
themes would provide. It seems to me that there is a world of
difference between contributed themes, one-off designs for clients,
and theme showcases, and the challenges for each are somewhat different.

What's more, I feel it's important to remember that designing for
Drupal, or any robust CMS, involves a lot more than static graphic
design and is a lot more complex than theming for just one kind of
content, like a blog. Proper theming involves 4 dimensions, including
the layers (z axis) and the time through which the theme moves as the
user interacts with it.

It can be challenging when Drupal still has some presentation logic
built into key modules, but that's diminishing, and when it comes
down to it, there's virtually nothing that cannot be overridden or
replaced using best practices. This makes the challenge to theming
both easier and more difficult. Easier because there's less to fight
against. More difficult because if you can do anything, how to you
theme for that?

I know the vast majority of designers are allergic to programming,
but when you're talking about interactive design, the program is
integral to the design, and while you may be able to avoid the code
syntax, you won't be able to avoid the code logic -- not if you're
doing a full GUI design. Even if you took a design from the various
skinning sites out there and ported it to Drupal, you'll have to deal
with challenges of complexity and multiple content types that are
beyond the realm of what most themes have to accommodate.

So is the question how to learn how to theme a custom Drupal site? Or
how to build up a richer, more beautiful theme repository in contrib?
Or how to showcase existing designs?

Laura

Laura Scott
pingVision, LLC