[consulting] Drupal Developer Certification

Steve J Bayer stevejbayer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 16:38:53 UTC 2009

The idea's great but there needs to be a proper world wide examination
network as well. I would suggest something similar (if not the same network)
as how Microsoft Certified Professional and Red Hat Certified Engineer tests
are taken world wide.

While online ODesk style tests work for one man shops, there is nothing to
stop someone else from taking the test. Example, (at the risk of stating the
obvious) for a service provider employing a dozen workers, only one of them
may have enough Drupal knowledge to pass the test and could easily take the
test for the remaining 11 thereby claiming the company has 12 certified
providers when in truth they have only one.

SteveJB

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Brian Vuyk <brian at brianvuyk.com> wrote:

> If I understand correctly, there is nothing to stop us from offering a
> different certification.
>
> I like the idea of having an open, community-supported certification
> system. Your 'badge' idea works well with this concept. Let's say
> Merlinofchaos writes a 'views' certification - this can be offered as a
> component or badge as part of the certification.
>
> Make it free to take, but make the individual badges difficult to obtain,
> so that the mark represents a true knowledge of the subject matter. Make the
> badges specific to different versions of modules or core. ie:
>
> * Drupal 6 Core
> * Drupal 7 Core
> * Views 5.x-1.x
> * Views 6.x-2.x
>
> This could even be offered under a name like 'Open Drupal Certification',
> according to the Drupal trademark policy draft. And easily implemented under
> Drupal.
>
> Brian
>
> Bram Moreinis wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Jason.  I saw that right after I posted.  Next time I shall be
>> more diligent!
>>
>> Still - how about my idea of growing the certification "specialty by
>> specialty" with open-source-style review of "merit badges" (by another
>> name), rather than having Acquia package it as a whole with a big oDesk
>> style test etc?  More culturally appropriate...
>>
>> I guess that's for Dries to mull over.
>>
>> -Bram

Personal Website:
http://stevejbayer.com