[consulting] On a personal note...

matt j. sorenson matt at sorensonbros.net
Sun Jan 16 01:05:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Tom Geller <tom at tomgeller.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> You may have seen my blog post about the challenges of Drupal's
> opportunity, at http://tomgeller.com/content/challenge-opportunity .
> Behind that post's implied pessimism is the belief that Drupal really is a
> booming technology, and that it's wise to strike while the iron is hot. A
> personal question follows: How can *I* capture this opportunity in a way
> that's both satisfying and sustainable?

Drupal continues up the ladder to becoming a "mature software project"; Like
Subversion is a mature software project. I've implemented and evangelized
each for the last half decade or more. I don't bother evangelizing
subversion anymore, but I still count on it daily as a strong link in the
tool chain. I still evangelize Drupal, but not as much or as passionately as
I used to. This is in part because I don't need to. I still love it, use it,
and recommend it. It is just a natural progression of a maturing piece of
technology.

Mature software projects enjoy long tenures; they become entrenched,
mainstay links in solution tool chains. Markets build up around them that
would otherwise not exist. But they are also vulnerable.

Today's {thirty-two-year-olds}, once convinced that nothing could compare or
compete with subversion's technological marvels, are often found among the
middle adopter waves to the githubs & bitbuckets & other shiny new
legacy-free inventions by today's {twenty-two-year-olds}, and
{twelve-year-olds}. It is valuable & insightful to weigh the relative
capabilities & benefits of the likes of Go lang (new) and erlang (definitely
not new) compared to php, and "Could web.go or webmachine be better suited
than Drupal for building my Next Big Idea?" and on and on and on.

{braces emphasize gross age generalizations, for illustration}

just another thirty-two-year-old,
matt j. sorenson (@emjayess)