[documentation] 'Last updated' information on handbook pages?

Mr. Meitar Moscovitz meitarm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 08:35:03 UTC 2008

On Jun 5, 2008, at 6:09 PM, Steven Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Showing the last updated time doesn't show you that the page is up
> to date, it only shows you how out of date it could be. If I fix a
> typo on a page, then having that date displayed will make it look
> like that was the last date that the content was checked for accuracy.
>
> So while on the surface a good idea, I'm not sure how misleading the
> information could be.

Hi,

If this were me—and I do realize I'm probably not a very good example
of a typical user persona—and I read a page that was somewhat out of
date but saw a recent last-modified time stamp on the page, I would
check the revisions tab to see what the last couple of revision log
messages are. Hopefully there will actually be some revision log
message there that just says "Fixed typo", so I'd be able to quickly
see what the latest major update/change was. If not, I'd probably run
a diff.

Since, (if I understand correctly) all visitors logged in with a d.o
user account (doc team members or otherwise) have access to the
revisions tab, I don't think it's too misleading in these cases to add
a last-modified time stamp. The information is in the worst case
*somewhat* misleading but in the best case *very* helpful, so I think
adding this time stamp seems like an overall net win for visitors.
Plus, if users get upset about seeing mismatched time stamps to out of
date pages, perhaps they will be encouraged to add more issues that
notify us of this fact!

My two cents….

Cheers,
--