[documentation] Add disclaimer to all handbook pages

Mr. Meitar Moscovitz meitarm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 12:16:21 UTC 2008

On Jun 5, 2008, at 8:01 PM, Nathaniel Catchpole wrote:

> Whilst thinking about the contributors block and last updated info,
> it occurred to me we don't have a disclaimer displayed for all
> handbook pages. I think it'd make sense to have something displayed
> on all pages to make it clear that it's community contributed
> documentation etc. - might be worth putting in the contributors
> block. "All documentation is contributed by volunteers and may not
> have been checked for accuracy" something like that.

I'm kind of just wondering aloud here, but isn't it pretty obvious
that Drupal is entirely a community-driven, volunteer-run project, and
that *all* of its code/documentation has come from volunteers and may
not have been checked for accuracy?

I can see that there's certainly a fine line to walk here, but since
any d.o user account can add a new handbook page, I would imagine that
it's pretty self-evident where the documentation comes from.

So as not to be nothing but a dissenter, what about this idea: rather
than blanket the entire handbook with a big disclaimer, why not
develop a set of standard snippets that we as doc team members can add
to pages we feel are dangerous, risky, or need any other kind of red-
flag placed on them. I'm thinking something along the lines of
Wikipedia's "The community feels that this article might need
revision…" sort of things. See any of the massive list of template
messages at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Template_messages

for examples. Currently, it seems to me that the docs team does do
this, but we do this by submitting issues against certain nodes, which
are not visible from the handbook pages themselves and thus no user
browsing the handbook pages would see them. Using something akin to
Wikipedia's template messages system (which is purely enforced by
convention, not by the software—which is sensible if you ask me),
would remedy that problem.

Of course, I have no idea what the technical implementation of that
would look like. Just brainstorming here.

Cheers,
--
-Meitar Moscovitz
Personal: http://maymay.net