[documentation] Add disclaimer to all handbook pages

Fernando P. García fernando at develcuy.com
Thu Jun 5 14:45:04 UTC 2008

I agree with Nathaniel, Disclaimer makes sense, but may this concern Drupal
Association? So I just request this but can't provide any idea to solve this
polemic issue.

Blessings!

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Mr. Meitar Moscovitz <meitarm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2008, at 8:01 PM, Nathaniel Catchpole wrote:
>
> Whilst thinking about the contributors block and last updated info, it
> occurred to me we don't have a disclaimer displayed for all handbook pages.
> I think it'd make sense to have something displayed on all pages to make it
> clear that it's community contributed documentation etc. - might be worth
> putting in the contributors block. "All documentation is contributed by
> volunteers and may not have been checked for accuracy" something like that.
>

> I'm kind of just wondering aloud here, but isn't it pretty obvious that
> Drupal is entirely a community-driven, volunteer-run project, and that *all*
> of its code/documentation has come from volunteers and may not have been
> checked for accuracy?
>
> I can see that there's certainly a fine line to walk here, but since any
> d.o user account can add a new handbook page, I would imagine that it's
> pretty self-evident where the documentation comes from.
>
> So as not to be nothing but a dissenter, what about this idea: rather than
> blanket the entire handbook with a big disclaimer, why not develop a set of
> standard snippets that we as doc team members can add to pages we feel are
> dangerous, risky, or need any other kind of red-flag placed on them. I'm
> thinking something along the lines of Wikipedia's "The community feels that
> this article might need revision…" sort of things. See any of the massive
> list of template messages at
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Template_messages
>
> for examples. Currently, it seems to me that the docs team does do this,
> but we do this by submitting issues against certain nodes, which are not
> visible from the handbook pages themselves and thus no user browsing the
> handbook pages would see them. Using something akin to Wikipedia's template
> messages system (which is purely enforced by convention, not by the
> software—which is sensible if you ask me), would remedy that problem.
>
> Of course, I have no idea what the technical implementation of that would
> look like. Just brainstorming here.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> -Meitar Moscovitz
> Personal: http://maymay.net
> Professional: http://MeitarMoscovitz.com
>
> For example, code snippets probably need this more than most.
>
> http://drupal.org/handbook/customization/snippets - has a disclaimer
> http://drupal.org/node/45471 - (theme snippets parent) has a disclaimer
> http://drupal.org/node/35728 - an actual code snippet, doesn't have a
> disclaimer. Unless I find the snippet via the handbook hierarchy (and IMO
> more people will find it from incoming links, irc, google and drupal.orgsearch than clicking through), I won't see the disclaimer.
>
> If the block happens, then it's just an extra sentence to add, but it'd
> need to be carefully worded - since equally we don't want to give the idea
> [...]

Fernando P. García, http://www.develcuy.com
Developer - Analista de Sistemas
+51 1 9 8991 7871, Mz. P Lt. 30 1et Urb. Pachacamac - VES, Lima - Perú