[drupal-support] Is Drupal the Right CMS?

Andrew Cohill cohill at designnine.com
Wed Apr 6 22:42:43 UTC 2005

On Apr 6, 2005, at 5:52 PM, Mike Melanson wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I want to use a CMS for a new project I am working on (tired of
> managing all HTML by hand). Drupal is one of the Fantastico-equipped
> scripts that my ISP offers. I see other sites doing neat things with
> Drupal but I have no idea how to make it do these things.
>
> 	I need to make a navigation menu block. I notice that the
> "Navigation" module is enabled by default. But I do not see how to do
> anything with that block. I can make another block for navigation
> options and populate it with an HTML list of links to the appropriate
> pages within the site. But that feels like it violates the CMS model.

Look at the Drupal Downloads page.  You may want to look at some of the
other taxonomy modules, which give you a lot of choices about
organizing and presenting various views of information on the site.

Drupal is a terrific platform, but like any CMS, it requires a bit of
study.  Compared to other CMS platforms, I've found Drupal to be much
easier and simpler to use.  But there is no free lunch.  Any powerful
CMS, whether Drupal or something like Zope will require some work.
Drupal's extensible module architecture is really wonderful.

Andrew

Andrew Michael Cohill, Ph.D.
Information architect

Design Nine provides technology master planning services, community
network planning,  technology audits, and telecommunications project
management to communities and organizations trying to make wise
technology and telecommunications expenditures.  Design Nine represents
the interests of the organization or community, rather than the
interests of vendors.

Visit the Design Nine News page for frequently updated news and
commentary on technology issues.
  http://www.designnine.com/news/

Design Nine, Inc.                        http://www.designnine.com/
Blacksburg, Virginia