[support] Editting themes? Documentation

Bruce Whealton brucewhealton at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 13:11:56 UTC 2006

Laura,
        What are "theme snippets" and "php snippets?"  And here is a page describing how to edit the user profile layout and display.
  It's called Customizing the User Layout
  http://drupal.org/node/44481
  While it gives and example of a profile_profile.tpl.php the description of how it works and what it's doing seems too limited for me to figure out the different ways one can edit the profile display.  I'm feeling somewhat ignorant, but I do know how to work with php somewhat.  Here's one thing that stands out, the fact that the profile_profile.tpl.php file doesn't already exist.  So what is controlling the display of profiles now before one were to follow these directions to customize the user profile layout?

  Then there is a theme that displays the drupal image in the background of the wallpaper.  Is the best way to change that going to be creating another image with the same name and extension but with a different image/picture, something more fitting my site?  Or is it better practice to edit the code?
  Thanks,
  Bruce
Laura Scott <laura at pingv.com> wrote:
  Hi Bruce,

  In general, to change site colors, all you should need to edit is the style.css file in your theme directory (yourdomain.com/themes/yourtheme). Each theme is styled differently, so there are no blanket tags I can suggest, but in general the tag names are rather intuitive (e.g., .node). By revealing codes on your displayed pages, you should be able to find the appropriate css tag in the style.css file and make the appropriate changes.

  For more involved changes, the handbook has a couple of areas -- the "theme developers guide" and the "theme snippets" under the "php snippets" area.

  I hope this helps!

  Laura

  Laura Scott
  President