[support] Multiple Drupal Sites Errors

Metzler, David MetzlerD at evergreen.edu
Thu Mar 16 16:03:17 UTC 2006

IMHO, the web server configuration for how to "get the web browser to
connect your URL with the drupal executables" is a little bit difficult
to get in the docs.  The options are numerous based on how much control
you have on your web configuration evironment, and what web server
you're using. Symbolic links are one way to do this; apache aliases are
another; in IIS you set up virtual directories.  I like using the
symbolic links the best, but others have a different interpretation on
this issue.

You do have gist of the trade-offs in multi-site configuration.  Yes if
you just created a directory, you'd have to copy all of the code there
and then you'd have two drupal code tree's to maintain, upload modules
to etc.  Symbolic links, apache aliases, or IIS virtual directories let
you use one. The durpal "multi-site" install also lets you use common
database elements as well, although I don't do that cause I don't really
want to share any of the tables between my sites.  I keep track of one
database per site, and have written cloning scripts to copy one site to
another, create new sites based on a skeleton, etc.

Dave