[support] Newbie question on concept

J-P Stacey jp.stacey at torchbox.com
Wed Apr 25 08:46:43 UTC 2007

Hi,

 > I realized CMS is aimed at Blog users, and I am having tough time
> getting quick tutorials for commercial site where no Blog or News Feeds
> are needed.

I realize I'm late to this party, but as a newbie myself I've just come
through the procedure of turning Drupal into my CMS of choice, so being
rubbish is still fresh in my mind!

Although Drupal isn't specifically aimed at blog users, out of the box I'd
say it *does* look very bloggy, so the confusion is understandable. The
default theme is very much "WordPress++", I'd say. But under the hood it has
different ways of doing things that mean you can move fairly quickly away
from that.

My suggestions would be:

* CCK, as suggested elsewhere. You can create new content types with Drupal
core, although they all have the same input fields. CCK provides the ability
to create custom input fields, like dates or extra metadata.

* To get a more hierarchical structure to the site, look into the category
module. This puts Drupal-core taxonomies into "containers": when a content
node is tagged with a taxonomy term, it then goes into that container. It's
a slight hack and a bit fiddly but it seems to work well.

* Get the hang of PHPTemplate, Drupal API, Drupal Form API and the concept
of theme_* and hook_* functions early on, as it'll save you extra
programming later. These permit you to hook up to Drupal core in your own
templates, so you (a) don't reinvent the wheel and (b) have less hassle
moving to a new theme later on.

* Learn about page Regions (sidebar, header, footer etc.) and the Blocks
that go into them, and the Views you can use to automatically generate
content for blocks.

* For your own purposes, check out Drupal's language locale support. Make
heavy use of the t() function in your own code and you should find you can
translate between different languages easily.

* Similarly for your own use, look into one of the more XHTML/CSS-friendly
included themes like garland. Some themes still make extensive use of

Good luck!

J-P