[support] Validation Error

Casper casper.labuschagne at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 04:18:59 UTC 2007

HI Tom,

On Dec 4, 2007 4:45 AM, Tom Holmes Jr. <tom at tomholmes.net> wrote:
> I've spent the last two days researching this issue and from what I can> see, this was an issue with 4.x which NEVER got resolved.
> Now it seems the issue is still around ... and STILL there is no answer
> as to what is going on or how to fix this once and for all.

I do suspect that the "Access Denied" error has to do with the
"access" table and with one or another module that controls "access"
that gets removed or uninstalled without the proper columns in the
appropriate tables removed.

In many Drupal sites over two years this was the first time I got
this, and I did remove all sorts of crud from my site in anticipation
of the upgrade.

BTW - The only role cache plays in this issue is that in due course
the cache table is filled up with access denied messages.  This is why
clearing cache is a very short term solution.

> This is why corporations can go to proprietary software .... in hopes of
> getting a definitive answer ... there is no such promise from the open
> source world.

My experience is that in the case of proprietory software you do get
the promise to fix the problems. And then you wait a long time, maybe
years and then you pay for the upgrade.

> Maybe I could make a few suggestions to the Drupal community:
> 1) accept that it is a problem and fix it

That is one of my peeves.  There are a few problems that have been
skulking around for a loooong time and when you hit the problem the
response is "what, that problem?  what about it?"  Maybe the Drupal
community should skip the future 7.0 release of Drupal in terms of
adding absolutely no new cutting edge features but rather to
concentrate 100% on stability and useability and most importantly to
update every single Drupal module and theme to that release!

> 3) maybe expand on some logging since this doesn't seem to generate any
> logging at all for this issue.

I would like to see some automated error logging from within the
"admin" interface that reports these "errors" so that fixing these
errors can be prioritized.

I share your frustrations, but hey, there is nobody out there to find
the solutions and to post the answers but us.  That is really at the
core of Drupal.  At the same time, I become frustrated because the
focus remains constantly at the "cutting edge" and the core stability
does not necessarily receive the same attention.

> future .... and if it does ... I'm not gonna sell Drupal as a solution.

I have thought more than once about searching for something "better"
and every time I return to Drupal!

I will keep you updated on any solutions I can find.  BTW do you get
"accessed denied" when you do a core install without additional
modules?

Casper

Casper Labuschagne
+27827054416 ; Skype=krooninfo ;
Struggling with computer errors, virusses and spyware?  Are you forced
to upgrade all your hardware and software?  There is an alternative to
the Windows madness!  Visit http://www.ubuntu.com and install Ubuntu
Linux!