[support] Validation Error

Tom Holmes Jr. tom at tomholmes.net
Tue Dec 4 19:12:27 UTC 2007

My comments below:

Anton wrote:
> On 04/12/2007, Tom Holmes Jr. <tom at tomholmes.net> wrote:
>
>> Wow ... absolutely stunning ...
>>
>> If I had installed this on Apache and STILL got the error ... do you
>> honestly think I would get an answer quicker?
>>

> I wasn't suggesting it to get you an answer quicker. It was to help
> you towards getting an answer at all by eliminating some variables.

I ALWAYS try to lookup information from these mailing lists, then the
forums on the Drupal site, the Drupal site in general, and then finally
extending out to Google.
I tried to provide as much information as possible and I am willing to
provide more.  As I think I clearly stated ... I installed Drupal in two
different environments:
one where both resin/drupal/mysql are all on my laptop ... and the other
environment where resin/drupal and mysql are separate servers.
The former works ok, the latter does not ... that makes me think there
is something else wrong and it's not resin.
But both you and Earnie seem to have this fixation that I did not test
it out with Apache/PHP ... since this issue has been around since 4.73
with users presumably using Apache/PHP ... I thought logically ... that
it was irrelevant.

>> I've spent the last two days researching this issue and from what I can
>> see, this was an issue with 4.x which NEVER got resolved.
>> Now it seems the issue is still around ... and STILL there is no answer
>> as to what is going on or how to fix this once and for all.
>>

> Having never had this problem myself, I did some searching. As far as
> I can tell you are probably dealing with a different problem. There
> was a patch applied in 5.3 for an issue with the same error message. I
> suspect you are dealing with something else specific to those contrib
> modules.
>
> Just because something says "validation error" doesn't mean it is the
> same problem. It's not like null pointer exceptions in Java apps all
> come from the same bug.

Yes ... I know ... but logging and error messages would be a great
help.  If you, like me, do Java development ... you use
logging and error trapping extensively so you can track bugs in your
code.  We hope our co-workers who do Java development do the
same thing ... that way you can debug their code if necessary ... the
more logging and error trapping the better .... right?

>> Maybe I could make a few suggestions to the Drupal community:
>> 1) accept that it is a problem and fix it
>>

> There hasn't been any indication so far that you have tried any of the
> suggestions for isolating this problem. This problem you've hit
> certainly hasn't crippled everyones Drupal sites, so it is going to
> take some diagnosing to find out how to reproduce it.

As I stated above ... I have tried to always provide as much information
as I had, and I am willing to provide more if needed.
Just ask me ...I did thoroughly explain what I did to do an install and
what modules I installed.  And the fact that one system works and one
does not
with almost the same setup.  I also did turn off the caching as someone
else mentioned ... and that did NOT fix the problem.

I know you and Earnie want me to test this out with Apache/PHP ... and
when I get the time today ... I will.
If I get the same error ... then it's NOT ME!!!!!!   If I don't get the
same error, then I will continue to test out on my own to see why this
is happening.
But as I previously stated ... since this was happening with 4.x and has
been a long time problem ... I presume past users had he problem with
Apache/PHP.
But ... I will try with Apache/PHP though I think I will get the same
issue ... and for all I know it's a problem with a contributed module
... I don't know.
Maybe it's a combination on how I added those modules .... again who know's.
> The mailing lists or forums aren't the place for tracking and fixing
> bugs. These are just for getting some help from fellow users. Once
> we've helped you isolate the problem, you'll be able to file an issue
> against the right components where it can be tracked by the developers
> that work on those components.

This particular mailling list may not be for fixing bugs, and that was
NOT my original intent.   My original intent was to find out if anyone
had this issue and how to resolve it.
The one thing that is aggravating is when someone reports a problem,
fixes it ... but then doesn't tell anyone how to fix it.   So, I looked
at the drupal site and finally google.
I see this question being asked a lot ... and have NOT YET seen anything
anywhere in the Drupal Site .... in the bugs/issues area that this is
even logged.
That to me is problematic ....

I am sorry for my bad attitude ... but I felt the attitude I got wasn't
exactly great from you!
Instantly questioning why I would install this on Resin as opposed to
Apache/PHP because that wasn't required ...
in essence I felt like you were saying .... "well if you had done that
... it wouldn't have been a problem."

So ... I will continue testing with Apache/PHP and see if it still is an
issue ... and I will experiment with adding the four modules that I did.
And if it's still a problem ... I am going to either A) fix it myself
B) drop Drupal as being an insufficent enterprise-ready CMS system

Thanks and have a lovely day!
                                                           Tom