[support] advise coverting static site to Drupal

Scott Trudeau strudeau at umich.edu
Fri May 18 14:30:57 UTC 2007

I wish I'd known more about Drupal when I left a job a few years ago,
since I think it would have been easier than most CMSes to do a
conversion for their largest site.

Here's an idea for a module (maybe something along these lines exists?):
* Move the old static site to a specially named folder
* Hook into the menu/path system and, if there isn't a defined Drupal
path for a given URL, check the static folder (perhaps allowing for
derivatives (foo, foo.htm, foo.html, foo.php, etc.) and serve up the
static page until it gets replaced
* Log hits to static URLs to provide a handy tool for helping
prioritize which things to convert sooner

Scott