[support] Newbee: How should I plan this?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sat May 19 04:58:46 UTC 2007

On Friday 18 May 2007, A-NO-NE Music wrote:
> Larry Garfield / 2007/05/17 / 01:43 AM wrote:
> >Musician node type: has name, website (link CCK field), etc.  Also has a
> >viewfield (CCK field) of a view that lists Show nodes that reference that
> >musician.
>
> While I was doing this, I encountered a problem.  I created a image
> field for the picture next to the name of the musician.  When I go to
> create Musician Content, the image field only let you upload the image
> but it is already in the library because I have used it before somewhere
> else.  Uploading again will duplicate it.  I know I am missing
> something, but I can't figure this out yet.  Any help would be appreciate
> it.

If you don't want to duplicate the actual jpg file, consider image-as-node and
then using a nodereference field to pick the image.  There is an image.module
that is very popular but also rather old, and has a few issues.  Another
option is to create a custom CCK node type, disable the body on it, and add
just one imagefield to it.  Voila, an image node type. :-)  The downside here
is that you're then loading more nodes on a page, so your theming could get
more complex and it could have an adverse impact on performance.  (Loading a
node is ~4-8 queries or so on most sites.)

> By the way, do I want to create Categories for Musician, Venue, and
> Show, or Reference Nodes between them will render Categories unnecessary?

Each node type is a type of entity.  A category/taxonomy helps to classify the
same sort of entity.  So for instance "client" is a node type, while "paid"
and "pro-bono" would be categories of client.  "Album" is a node type, while
jazz, rock, and disco are taxonomy terms in the "genre" vocabulary and "indy"
or "big evil faceless corp" are taxonomy terms in the "contract type"
vocabulary. :-)

When you want something to be a node type vs. a category depends on your use
case.  Bear in mind that a node can only ever have one node type, while it
can have many associated taxonomy terms (tags) in multiple vocabularies
simultaneously, and vocabularies can apply to multiple node types.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson