[support] Newbie seeking documentation

A-NO-NE Music madflute at anonemusic.com
Sat May 26 16:27:35 UTC 2007

Mitch Wander / 2007/05/26 / 08:18 AM wrote:

>If you're trying to quickly build a Drupal site from start to usable for
>site visitors try:
>Drupal: Creating Blogs, Forums, Portals, and Community Websites
>by David Mercer

Well,
I bought this book before anything, and was a bit of a disappointment.
First of all, it is for 4.7, not 5.1, and it confused me a great deal.
Also the book only lists the things you can intuitively know, but not
the real issues with Drupal - In my case, I don't need blog.

Handling Drupal, for me, is taking much longer than when I dealt with
Joomla.  Even Joomla book from the same publisher was more useful than
Drupal one to me.  My impression is that Drupal documentation in general
is for developer minded people written by developer.  Most of them has
no step-by-step explanation.

A music notation software, Finale, which is like Drupal because the
application is so deep, practically nothing it can't do, but there are
too many ways to do one thing, came with 3 thick volumes of manuals when
I bought it in 1987.  I read them all every night until I memorized them
all.  It took me almost 1 year.

This is my 3rd try with Drupal because I realized I am doing something
wrong in one point and it seems easier to start over than changing the
strategy.

Apology for my rant.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>