[support] Turning off multibyte support?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Nov 12 01:14:37 UTC 2007

I just installed drupal 5.1 on a web hosting provider.  When I try to
run install.php, I get the error:

> Incompatible environment
>
> The following error must be resolved before you can continue the
> installation process:
>

> Multibyte string input conversion in PHP is active and must be
> disabled. Check the php.ini mbstring.http_input setting. Please
> refer to the PHP mbstring documentation for more information.
> (Currently using Unicode library Error)
It is unclear what I'm supposed to do to fix this.  I don't see any
php.ini string anywhere in my site directory tree.  I'm assuming this
is some system global config file (which I don't have access to).

roy at panix.com