[support] Good events calendar?

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Tue Oct 9 22:30:55 UTC 2007

Ari,

I'd be happy to chat with you, my gmail account is sgluskin at gmail.com.

As for "integrating" webcalendar into Drupal, the relevant Drupal module is
here:
http://drupal.org/project/webcal

Before you do anything, look at the install.txt file that comes in the
folder with that module before you do anything. Remember that installing
webcalendar is a separate install, though needs to be done in a special way,
installing the webcal Drupal module just helps to bridge the two aps, it
doesn't install webcalendar for you.

I haven't used it.

The features page at web calendar is at:
http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.phpand it seems to have all the features
you want. Hopefully web calendar's RSS
feature won't get messed up in the integration process, that is what you
need for your concerns in the last paragraph of your post. Note that
regarding your last paragraph, if I understood it, you'll have to promote
the relevant RSS feeds from your web calendar at other sites in order for
those calendar items to show elsewhere on the web. The automatic part is
once you get subscribers to your feed then new events appear automatically,
but you can't somehow blast the subscription of your feeds.

It would have helped if you gave us the direct URL of that discussion at
Google.org instead of a link to the front page; I didn't hunt around to find
the relevant thread you referred to, so I can't say whether I would agree
with the analysis.

Regarding your dismissal of Event and Calendar modules, it really depends on
how you are going to be using the calendar and what you are planning on
doing with the rest of your Drupal site. Because the calendar items won't be
considered "nodes" from Drupal's point-of-view, it limits the way the
calendar can be integrated into the site as a whole. It looks like the
webcal Drupal module integrates the user systems so your users will have
only one log-in, that is hugely important. However, remember that you are
also adding a level of complexity to your site by using webcalendar, you are
running two separate applications under the same root directory, that is
more complex than adding Drupal modules, especially regarding to upgrade
paths. It doesn't mean that isn't the right solution for you, but you should
be aware of the potential pitfalls.

Good luck,

Go Klezer!