[support] SLOW LOADING

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Mon Oct 15 13:25:22 UTC 2007

Hi Liza,

Knowing your general opposition to going through an upgrade if at all
avoidable (though 4.7 to 5.2 is quite a smooth and generally painless
upgrade), one thing that can have immediate benefits is to use block
cache. It creates cached versions of all your blocks and makes the
cached versions available in the blocks administration. Then you can
replace your existing blocks with cached versions, as appropriate.
Each block has its own configuration settings to determine how
frequently it should be refreshed.

This will not affect node loads, menu loads (unless you use cached
versions), comment loads or global user permission checks, etc., but
it can help sites on underpowered servers. Figure 20-30 minutes of
configuration time because you need to configure each block
separately, and the cached versions will not automatically inherit
the block visibility settings you may have on each block. You do not
need to take your site down to do this, either.

Hope this helps!

Laura