[support] Upgrade to Drupal 5?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Mon Oct 15 20:56:38 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have a production website that runs on Drupal 4.7. Should I move it to
Drupal 5.2?

I'm concerned that migrating might be difficult, might be work, or might
cause downtime for my users. On the other hand, I'm concerned about
staying with an old software version that might become unsupported in
the future, and that migration might be more difficult later.

My Drupal 4.7 site has several modules added on and I figure that these
might not all work in Drupal 5. My understanding is that backwards
compatibility is not a development goal for Drupal. So perhaps the best
way to "migrate" is to essentially re-do the website from scratch and
then copy all the content from the 4.7 site.

I'm generally happy with Drupal 4.7. Is there any page that briefly
explains what's new and exciting in Drupal 5 that might make one want to
move to it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniel.