[support] FORUM permission and moderation granularity

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 19:23:03 UTC 2007

On 9/24/07, Davide Galletti <davide at davide.galletti.name> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in the site I am building there are different sections each accessible
> to a different groups of users
> identified by different roles; users can have more than one role. I am
> using Taxonomy Access Control
> but I do not manage to restrict access to Forums.
> What I would like is:
>     user with role X can read/write on Forum X
>     user with role X, Y can read/write on Forum X and Y
> and so on ...
> I defined Taxonomy Access Permission using the term that is created
> automatically
> when you create a Forum but it doesn't seem to work...
> If the Forum and the Term of the Forum Vocabulary are named "X" I have set
> Taxonomy access permissions for Anonymous and Authenticated roles as
> follows:
>     Show-Deny   Update-Deny   Delete-Deny
> And for the role "X":
>     Show-Allow  Update-Allow   Delete-Deny   List
> When log in as a user with role "X" and I try to add a new Forum Topic
> the drop-down list of Forums is empty!
> I manage to reply to a Topic added by the admin.
> Any hints?

There is also a "Create" permission in TAC, which controls the terms
appearing in the category selection dropdown list for tagging the
node. The role also needs "create" and "edit own" general permissions
in admin/user/access.

You may also want to disable the "Update" TAC permission if you don't
want that role to be able to edit *anyone's* posts. That one is only
good for moderators. It is not needed for privileged "readers".

> Second issue: is it possible to have one Forum moderated and another one
> not moderated
> on different sections?

You mean with a different URL? Not out of the box as far as I know.
Perhaps you could fake a forum using a custom-made "forum" front page
with assigned views, a content type and categories.