[support] (noob) highlighting primary/secondary links (.active)

HansBKK hans.drupal at gmail.com
Mon May 19 05:07:13 UTC 2008

I've posted to the post-install forum without result; perhaps my posting was
just too long, or I shouldn't ask multiple questions in a single message?
(Thanks to Larry for answering my previous post)

http://drupal.org/node/258969

So here I'll just ask one (category of) question at a time, but you can
respond either here or in a comment there. Using the default setup of the
current stable v5.7 - here's my "one" <g> question:

I'd like the appropriate primary/secondary links to be highlighted to help
orient the visitor while navigating through the site. At a minimum, I'd like
this to happen when the visitor actually arrives at a location by using a
given menu (see Q2), but really I want to control which links are
highlighted even when the user arrives from say a term listing, dated
archives, etc.

I'd *really* like the highlighting of the menu links to be triggered by the
current URL as set by either the core Path module or the contrib Pathauto.
Example: a page path'd to somewhere under: "about/facilities" would
highlight "about" in the primary links and "facilities" in the secondary.

I see from various past postings that the link highlighting is usually done
using the ".active class"; please let me know if your suggestion involves
another mechanism.

I don't want to sound like I'm kvetching (too much) here, but I would have
thought that keeping URLs, menu highlighting and (I just thought of the
other "path" used for visitor orientation) breadcrumbs in sync for a given
node would be something a lot of users would like to see, IMO core
functionality for any site management tool.

1. I see the contrib module "Menu Trails" is designed to help with this, but
A it is dev only, and this is for a production site, and B it is based on
the node's content type or taxonomy terms, not the URL. I was hoping to not
get into the complexities of CCK at this early stage of my learning curve,
and as far as tagging goes, I can see training the site contributors to set
correct URLs on their nodes, but I can't really see them ALSO setting
(correctly matching) taxonomy tags.

Or is there a way to assign a term based on the assigned URL, or vice-versa.
Now *that* (either way) would be great, and not just for this functionality!
But Menu Trails is still dev not stable. . .

2. I don't get the menu link highlighting even when the visitor arrived at a
page by using the primary/secondary menu navigation. If this isn't a common
bug with a known fix, I'll dig further (set up Firebug?) to try to figure
out more.

3. Is there a solution that would also tie in with breadcrumbs?

Thanks in advance!