[support] Swapping down Drupal versions/Hiding RSS

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 20:30:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Bob Salsburg <bsisok at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Drupal folks. I am a web developer versed in the "old" methods, i.e.
> HTML, CSS, ASP and ASP.net. I declared myself free of the M$FT stuff when I
> no longer had to do it and set about making life simpler with Open Source. I
> discovered Drupal when working up a site for my church, the idea being that
> individuals - even ordinarily inept ones - could do there owne updates.
>
> My Drupal history is brief, about a month. I currently have a quasi-live
> Drupal 6 site, but I have been working with a Druppal 5.12 site on an XXAMP
> installation on my laptop.

Assuming you want to take the Drupal 5.x site you have on your laptop,
and copy it to the live site, the procedure would be.

1. On your current live site (Drupal 6.x), dump the database and zip
the entire file structure and download both files to a safe location.

2. Delete everything, there is no simple, straightforward way to
export and import users or anything else in Drupal unless you would
like to write a script in PHP, then you could be in luck big time
(lots of snippets on drupal.org).

3. On your laptop 5.x install, dump the database and tar (or zip) the
file structure and move everything to your live site and unpack the
file system and restore the database file to the database server.

4. You should be all set to go.

This is the basic approach, there exist more sophisticated ways of
doing it that might make life easier (like just using CVS to check out
and update (switch) the Drupal version from the command line).

The RSS link is actually a block (Syndicate) you can simply disable in
Administer > Site building > Blocks.

To remove the "submitted by" cruft, go to Administer > Site building >
Themes, and select the general configuration, and there you will see a
checkbox for each content type, you can deselect the submitted by to
appear or not on a content type by content type basis. Again, this is
in the general settings, not the settings for any one particular
theme.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar