[support] problem with too many modules

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 5 14:00:58 UTC 2009

Quoting Matej Svetlik <matej.svetlik at cetelem.sk>:

> hello,
> We have drupal page with 50+ modules. With every new module added,
> drupal is getting slower and slower (with load times near 2 seconds).
>
> After installation of APC load times dropped drastically but are still
> slow.
>
> Are there any common ways to handle installations with lots of modules
> (and even more include files)?
>
> pages depend on 2 external systems, but loading data form them takes
> only 0.3 second.
>

> PS: I tough about "hacking" core to load only modules that are really
> needed for the page that is loading (modules doesn't depend on each
> other). I'm just curious if it's possible?

Be sure to test with the version 7 betas.  Version 7 is trying to
accomplish speed improvement.  However, this may require you to modify
your 50 modules.  The way the hook methods are currently implemented
are the cause for the need to load all modules for every page.  Caching
will help with the page loading, you do have caching turned on,
correct?  Have you looked at the database optimization?

--
Earnie  http://r-feed.com
  Make a Drupal difference and review core patches.

-- http://for-my-kids.com/  -- http://give-me-an-offer.com/