[support] problem with too many modules

Matej Svetlik matej.svetlik at cetelem.sk
Mon Jan 5 15:37:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 09:00 -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Quoting Matej Svetlik <matej.svetlik at cetelem.sk>:
>
> > hello,
> > We have drupal page with 50+ modules. With every new module added,
> > drupal is getting slower and slower (with load times near 2 seconds).
> >
> > After installation of APC load times dropped drastically but are still
> > slow.
> >
> > Are there any common ways to handle installations with lots of modules
> > (and even more include files)?
> >
> > pages depend on 2 external systems, but loading data form them takes
> > only 0.3 second.
> >

> > PS: I tough about "hacking" core to load only modules that are really
> > needed for the page that is loading (modules doesn't depend on each
> > other). I'm just curious if it's possible?
> >

> Be sure to test with the version 7 betas.  Version 7 is trying to
> accomplish speed improvement.  However, this may require you to modify
> your 50 modules.  The way the hook methods are currently implemented
> are the cause for the need to load all modules for every page.  Caching
> will help with the page loading, you do have caching turned on,
> correct?  Have you looked at the database optimization?

thanks for reply ...

1) i will try 7 as soon as possible, but is really hard to convert all
modules (I converted all of them from 5.x to 6.2 few months ago :D)

2) I haven't try database optimization yet. But i didn't think database
is the problem. In devel module there is an option to show database
access times and they were irrelevant compared to page load times.
Database runs on the same server and the server is almost never fully
loaded. Oh, and it's intranet server just for about 200 employees.

3) I think the main problem is _hook system, because on fresh
installation it takes only 0.3 second to load page. that's why I tough
about hacking module loading code. I only need to load core modules, one
custom module and one module displaying current page.

4) Another option could be splitting it into multi-site/multi-page
installation ... but i like core hacking idea much more :D