[support] Nice Menu help

KOBA | Hans Rossel hans.rossel at koba.be
Wed Jan 21 08:26:17 UTC 2009

I also really have to disagree on this. Nice menus is a good option for
front end css based dropdowns in Drupal as it adds the IE javascript for you
and prepares some of the css and theming work nicely. It also gives some api
for printing the menu's via php where you want, so it works better and
easier together with Drupal. Before I have included different dropdown menus
via theming in Drupal sites without extra modules, used simplemenu module
for front end dropdowns, but prefer now the nice menu module for the above
mentioned reasons.
Actually for backend menus, I think administration menu module is better if
you just want a vertical dropdown menu on top.

About the question of Marc, I think this is a pure css question which has
little to do with Drupal. It's about how to style the html that the nice
menu outputs differently from the css that is ready made included in the
module.

To understand the way a css dropdown works I would recommend reading the
more or less original Suckerfish dropdown article
http://htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns and then look at a jquery
based version like Superfish
http://users.tpg.com.au/j_birch/plugins/superfish. There are several other
variations around with some more nice jquery effects, which I hope would
make it into nice menus (see d.o node 322962). If you want to change the
look of the menu I would recommend the book http://www.cssmastery.com. Like
fixing the width of the dropdown is just ul ul li {width:200px}; because you
want to change the second level of the list and make sure you are talking to
the right classes or ids of the ul or li elements you want to change. But as
said, that is basic css knowledge, so its better you invest some time in
learning it, otherwise you will have to search for css snippets every time
you want to style something.

Hans

2009/1/21 Brian Choc <bchoc at t4tcolorado.org>

> Nice menus is good for back-end administrative use.  I think, for the
> reasons you've outlined below, few use it for front-end interfaces.
> Brian
>

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Marc Morris <marc at cultmovieforums.com>wrote:
>

>> Has anybody here used the "Nice_Menus" module?
>>
>> I could really use some help with the rather complex css layout.
>>
>> I have been fiddling around with the css for hours and I just cannot
>> figure out how to code the following (I'm trying to set-up the drop-
>> down/horizontal menu option):
>> - Set overall font for menus
>> - center the type within each menu section
>> - make width of each main menu section the same as the drop downs
>> directly beneath
>>
>> ...and finally, is there a way to set the exact width of the entire
>> "nice_menu" bar?
>>

>> Marc
>> --

Hans Rossel