[support] D5: ImageCache Nightmare

KOBA | Hans Rossel hans.rossel at koba.be
Mon Jun 15 07:37:02 UTC 2009

You could do the following:
- check server error log what error caused the white screen of death and
search for that error on drupal.org. Check if filefield, imagefield and
imageapi are installed correctly. Run update.php again to see if there are
any database updates missing. Check if you have only one imagecache module.
Remove the imagecache module entirely and upload it again to be sure no
files are missing.
- check to which images the missing ones are pointing: right click on the
missing image, check the path and see if you have the image on your server
on that place. If you use transliteration module it could be that filename
is different between original and imagecache resized one.
- if the image exists on your server check the permissions for that image,
it should be 755 (or you can just type in the direct url to the image and
check if you see it). You may also make it temporary 777 to be sure its not
a permission problem. This is mainly an issue when you moved your
installation to another server which could result in files directory having
too low permission (mostly 644).
- the updates I did from imagecache 1 to 2 were also not without problems.
Now I first make a screenshot of all presets and their exact names/presets
in imagecache 1, then upgrade to imagecache 2, remove all presets and remake
them with the exact names as they existed before, flush everything. Also
make sure you have a good backup of all files before you start. If you have
more than 2000 files check if you have them all, sometimes (always?) there
is a limit of 2000 files when you would just backup by getting all files via
ftp.

Good luck,

Hans

2009/6/15 A-NO-NE Music <madflute at anonemusic.com>

> I posted this to ImageCache support but received no response yet, hoping
> someone here could help since I am kinda desperate.
>
> Under Drupal 5.18, I tried to update ImageCache from 5.x-1.7 to 5.x-2.4,
> which resulted in White Page of Death.  I don't think it is a memory issue
> since phpinfo.php still tells me memory_limit is 128MB.
>
> I then went back to the backup which contains 5.x-1.7 and flushed the each
> preset cache.  Now I am getting tons of images missing.  It is very
> inconsistent.  Some thumbnails are fine but not the main size page.  Some
> are missing on all the presets, thumbnail, main image, and original, while
> some others are just fine in all presets.  I can't see the pattern which
> ones are OK.  It seems so random.
>
> Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> - Hiro
>
> Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Greater Boston
> http://a-no-ne.com   http://anonemusic.com

Hans Rossel
KOBA Webdevelopment
Kerkstraat 228