[support] File linking question

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Fri Sep 18 18:57:09 UTC 2009

Hey Leslie,

I have another idea for you. This assumes that the local files are available
via a url. Like on a Mac the path to a file might be:
file:///Users/Username/Documents/file.doc.

What you could do is simply use the Link module:
http://drupal.org/project/link (requires CCK).. This would require the
person adding the content to know the file path to the document instead of
browsing to it.

But I'm pretty sure you could prepend the beginning part of the file-path
automatically when you are configuring the link field so that people adding
a link to the file would have a shorter path to insert (the usability of
this also depends on how complex the file structure is on the local server).

I like the link module. It's quite configurable. But its obviously limited
in that it doesn't provide a browsing widget like file upload modules do.
Just brainstorming...

Shai